It’s hard to fathom. The idea of waking up before sunrise every morning and spending hours walking just to find a water source. Walking along dense, marshy paths that are home to snakes and crocodiles. Every person in the village knows someone who has been killed by one or the other, and many have seen it happen. Even that isn’t as scary as the walk itself, which leaves young women exposed to human predators (such as passing fishermen) who may be lurking in the bushes. If you survive the walk, you stand in line to access a muddy hole in the ground that you share with both your neighbors and the livestock. Then you carry 40 pounds of dirty water all the way home on your back and to serve to the people you love most. You are constantly suffering from stomach pain and diarrhea, and many children lose their lives to water-related diseases. If you are a young girl, you are not able to attend school and escape poverty with an education.
It’s a world most of us don’t know. And yet, it’s the reality for 748 million people around the world—748 million! That’s nearly 10 percent of everyone living on this planet. We got lucky. We’re the other 90 percent. We happened to be born in places where we’ve never had to worry about finding water or deal with the fear that our water might affect the health of our families.
Compelled to make a difference, New Hope Church in Lorton is organizing a Walk 4 Water to raise money for a well. The distance of the walk represents the length that women, usually young girls, in Africa walk each way to fetch contaminated water for their families. On average, 26% of an African child’s day is spent collecting water, a life necessity that robs them of their safety and health, as well as their future.
The event will take place on June 3, 2017 at 8905 Ox Road in Lorton. You can Register online at www.w4ki.org/walk4water or at New Hope Church on the day of the event. On-site registration and check-in opens at 8:00 am Walk steps off at 9:00 am. This event will raise funds to drill a well in the Ugandan village of Bumirambako where villagers currently walk 3-kilometers (one-way) to an open pond, which is a breeding ground for water-borne diseases such as typhoid, cholera, and dysentery.
Over the past seven years, events held like this around the country have helped raise enough money to drill over 340 wells in East Africa. These deep-water wells, at a cost of $10,150 each to drill, can provide access to safe water to nearly 10,000 people and impact generations.
The Walk 4 Water events typically bring out more than 350 people to help raise money for water wells in Africa. It’s a great event to bring children to because they can learn about life on the other side of the world. More walkers and donors are always welcome.
WHEN: June 3, 2017. 8:00 am registration and check-in. Walk steps off at 9:00 am
WHERE: New Hope Church – 8905 Ox Rd., Lorton, VA 22079
DETAILS: Register online at www.w4ki.org/walk4water or at the site on the day of the event at 8:00 a.m.
Adults $35; 12 and under $15 (all registrations include t-shirt while supplies last).
Parking: Free. Dogs are welcome on a leash.
Contact: Lisa Felchle, (443) 567-9308, firstname.lastname@example.org